Saturday, January 06, 2007

January in Wisconsin…

January in Wisconsin isn’t what it used to be. The green grass, blooming pansies, budding crocuses, vibrant green herbs and brilliant heuchera leaves. Yes, they’re beautiful, but they also strike me as being, well, creepy. It’s just not natural. Not in January.

A few months back I was jotting down some future blog ideas, and thought that January, the month when Packerland aptly earns its title of “the frozen tundra” would be a fine month to drop by my local Twin Lakes florist. Then I could buy myself a beautiful bouquet and blog about my favorite “flower store” flowers to press when I’m stuck inside and pining away for warm spring breezes. Well, there’s no need. The breezes are eerily warm, and there is still a surprising amount of pressable plants in my backyard. In January.

In case you’re wondering what I found this afternoon, here’s the line up of a quick scan, starting at the top, from left to right:

Nigella frond, pansy, cannula (I think), the second row contains 3 different huechera leaves, and one green mallow leaf, and the last row features a column of cute pelargonium leaves, a chamomile sprig, dusty miller, sage, parsley, and thyme.

In January?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth,
Let me start out by saying how happy I am to have found your site! I've recently become interested in using pressed flowers to make framed art.I am starting out small by making some cute 2X3s frames and by using some pressed flowers I bought on line. My eyes lit up when i came acrossed your website and saw your beautifully framed pressed flowers on your handmade paper! I want to make something beautiful like yours! I especially love the one you have under" about me". What kind of flower is that? And did you use the terregon leaves as the flower's leaves? I want to try pressing my own flowers too! I will read through your blog and find out more about this beautiful art. Thanks for creating this site!
Andria in California

9:27 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Dear Andria,

Thank you so much for your kind comments! The red flower is actually a pressed red tulip, with tulip leaves. Since tulips are quite delicate I pressed it as an experiment, and was pleasantly surprised to see how well it turned out.

I wish you all the best in your new flower pressing endeavor! If I can ever be of any help, just let me know.

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home