Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Year of the Calendula


Calendula flower seeds are absolutely everywhere this year! Every seed catalog I have (and I get a lot) has them this year, when in years past they showed up only sporadically. And, much to my delight, now there are tons of new wild and colorful new hybrids!

Let me back up. Calendulas, otherwise known as “pot marigolds” are cheerful daisy like flowers, which typically come in brilliant shades of orange, yellow, gold or cream. They have been used as a medicinal herb for centuries, and the petals are completely edible, with a light, tangy flavor.

I first grew them a few years ago as a part of a wildflower mix, and they have since become one of my all time favorite flowers to press with my Microfleur flower press. They are very durable and simple to press, and they come out perfect every time. They also make a wonderful inclusion for handmade paper. Thankfully, they are wonderfully easy to grow.

Much to my surprise, I couldn’t find an example of a pressed calendula on my website! At any rate, I include a pressed calendula card in just about every one of my boxes of pressed flower cards, as well as my gift card packets. I also occasionally make botanical luminaries with them.

Order some calendula seeds this year – you’ll love them! And, if you’re in the market for a Microfleur microwave flower press, you’ll receive a free bonus sample of calendula seeds, as well as my favorite red poppy seeds, with every Microfleur press ordered this month.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home