Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pressing African Daisies in the Microfleur

Note: Every so often I get specific questions from readers. I've decided to start sharing a few of them with you. If you have any questions regarding flower pressing techniques, flower garderning questions, or starting up your own handmade card business, please feel free to ask. I'd love to help!

Hi Elizabeth,

Have you tried pressing African daisies with the Microfleur? If you have, could you tell me how you do it? I either burn them or undercook them. Thanks!
Andria from California

Hi Andria,

Yes, I press osteospermum which are part of the same family, and they can be a bit tricky. But, the results are well worth it!

First of all, for best results, try to pick young flowers, as soon as they’ve fully opened, after the morning dew has dried.

To avoid scorching them, I press them in the Microfleur for two or three 30 second intervals with a minute or two between each interval. Then, leaving the flowers inside the cotton liners, I place them on the counter and allow them to fully cool, and then press them again for one or two more 30 second intervals after they’ve rested. If I’m pressing many of them, I might let them sit out overnight, and complete their pressing the next morning.

Keep in mind every microwave is different, but the main point is to let them cool in between microwave intervals. I hope this helps, Andria!

Elizabeth


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you approached businesses that you wanted to stock your cards. Do you just walk in with some samples and ask for the manager or call first? Any help would be much appreciated.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Ellice,
Thank you so much for your question, however I don’t really have a pat answer for you. I actually do both!
I tend to make an appointment only for stores that are quite a distance from me, or if I know that they are a very busy. I have found that if I call for an appointment, it is very easy for a shop owner to say no, with out having a chance to see my work. Let’s face it, there are a lot of “fake” and poor quality pressed flower cards there, and unfortunately that’s what may come to mind when the store owner hears what you have to offer.
I have generally found that spontaneity results in some of my biggest orders. I make sure I visit stores soon after they open, before the rush of the day begins. I discreetly pull out one of my best cards while I ask if I may show them what I have to offer, and more times than not my card speaks for itself, and they ask to see more.
Best wishes to you Ellice. I’m glad that you live in Australia, because you certainly are a worthy competitor.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Elizabeth, I'm not one for calling as like you say, it's very easy to say no to 'just another supplier'. Thank-you for your kind comment too, I'm glad your on the other side of the world too! Its nice to know someone is doing quality pressed flower art though. I think the whole concept has been marred by low quality brown coloured flowers and people using pressed flowers for the sake of it instead of what actually looks right. Lets change everyones opinion!Properly pressed flowers are beautiful!!!

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home