Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mega Botanical Press

If you are one of my three regular readers (bless your heart!), you may remember my "How does one press this?" post where I discovered alocasia (elephant ear) leaves. I was determined to grow them here in Wisconsin, so that I could try pressing their remarkable leaves.
Well, so far, so good! The alocasia bulb I bought has thrived, and the foliage has been spectacular. The picture above is the first leaf I harvested, along with my improvised press. The wood is actually laminated shelving (approx. 18" x 24"), and I've used large pieces of fiber fill quilt padding and felt as the filler.
To hold the press together, I've used ratchet clamps, which can be made tighter as the leaf shrinks.
I'm guessing that it will take about two weeks until the leaf is fully dry. I hope it works. Stay tuned!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello elizabeth:-)

you make me smile:-)...i am sure you have way more than three readers!:-)...i always enjoy coming here:-)

let us know how the elephant ear presses!:-)...it is beautiful:-)

rebekah:-)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

rebekah,

Thanks for the kind comment. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Elizabeth

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home