Friday, January 11, 2008

edelweiss

Isn't this a stunning edelweiss?

It was grown from seed, pressed in the microfleur, made into a card, and sold on Etsy. Now, looking back at the scan I took of it, I wish I would have made something more permanent out of it, like a framed picture, or even a journal!

They are a bit tricky to grow from seed, but I have found that the plants I grow from seed tend to last longer (2-3 years) than edelweiss plants I have purchased. The seeds can be hard to find, but I ordered mine from Pinetree Garden Seeds this year, and I've also seen them on ebay.

They like cool conditions, so here in Wisconsin I start them in my chilly basement, and eventually move them to our insulated garage under grow lights. Then, when it's time to move them outside, I place them in a planter filled with cactus potting soil (they need excellent drainage) and I am usually blessed with at least 2-3 dozen beautiful blooms from 4-5 plants. Give it a try!
copyright pressed-flowers dot blogspot dot com.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah Smith said...

elizabeth!:-)...how special!:-)...it is absolutely, stunningly gorgeous!:-)...and the fact that you grew it from seed makes it even more of a treasure!:-)

thanks for letting us see,

rebekah:-)

3:48 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks Rebekah!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home