Friday, April 25, 2008

elephant ear paper cast

Here it is, my paper cast elephant ear, sealed and painted.

I am so pleased with how well the strong veining show up - it seems to lend a sense of strength and vitality to the leaf. I painted it with several different shades of green acrylic mixed with Perfect Paper Adhesive to form a translucent glaze. I also added an iridescent medium to the veins which gives them a subtle sunlight-like sparkle when viewed up close.

My next challenge is to come up with a way to display it. My art friend Bonnielynn suggested using a large shadow box, which I'm look into, and I'm also toying with the idea of attaching a hook on the back so that I can hang it directly on a wall. We'll see!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah Smith said...

oh, elizabeth!:-)

this is just gorgeous!:-)...i love the idea of putting a hook on the back, but worry about how it would hold up?...the shadow box would protect it...but, you must display it in some way, it's too beautiful not to!:-)...congratulations on a lovely piece!:-)

rebekah:-)

7:08 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Rebekah, you are are always so encouraging!

I added alot of Methylcellulose powder (a type of natural glue) to my recycled paper pulp which made the paper cast leaf pretty tough, so I think it will hold up if I attatch a hook of some kind. If I do this again, I'll embed a hook into the pulp as I form the cast.

Thank you for your kind words!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home