Friday, August 22, 2008

Brimming with a colorful harvest...

I have been blessed with copious amounts of colorful heirloom tomatoes. It is (deeply) ingrained in me not to waste food, so I am feverishly giving away and finding uses for as many tomatoes as I can. The delicious recipe below has been a lifesaver - it uses up a large amount tomatoes, and freezes well.

(By the way, in case you're wondering, "You frame it Friday" will return next week)

roasted tomato sauce

15 cloves of peeled garlic
8 # of ripe tomatoes (any kind), cut in half
5 medium onions, quartered
1 cup of fresh herbs, chopped (I use a mixture of oregano, Italian flat leaf parsley, basil, thyme, and rosemary)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
freshly ground black pepper (I like a lot)
2-4 tablespoons of honey, optional

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Chop 5 of the cloves of garlic. Leave the remaining cloves whole. In a large roasting pan, carefully toss together the tomatoes, garlic, onions, herbs, oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Roast for 25 minutes. Gently stir. Roast for another 25 minutes, stir again. Roast another 45 minutes, or until tomatoes are softened and broken down into a sauce with a golden brown crust on top.
3. Remove from oven and taste for seasoning. Mash tomatoes slightly, (some chunks are nice) or blend until smooth if you wish. This sauce freezes well, or is great for canning. Use it with pasta, fish, or as a wonderful dipping sauce for really good french bread.

Enjoy!


"The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest."
Psalm 85:12

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Maybe I missed something, but do you cut up the tomatoes before roasting them? Take off the peels? Or just throw them in whole.
It is probably obvious, but I'm sort of a newbie at using fresh tomatoes in anything but salad!
Thanks!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi mj,

Thank you so much for your question - I did in fact neglect to say that I cut each tomato in half - to help them cook down faster, but no, I don't peel them.

This ends up being quite a "rustic" recipe, but because roasting intensifies the richness of the tomatoes, the flavor is wonderful. I hope you like it.

Elizabeth

11:47 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I can't wait to try it! I have a huge amount of tomatoes from my mom's garden and really wanted to do something different with them! I love other roasted veggies and am looking forward to the results!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Let me know how you like it, mj!

Elizabeth

2:29 PM  
Blogger Homemanager said...

Sounds delicious, but I don't have the large quantity of tomatoes that you have. I will still copy it for another day. :) Thanks for sharing!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home