Monday, March 30, 2009

Planting Time






















I planted my peas the two Saturdays ago, and this past Saturday night we were socked not with one inch, but 7 inches of snow! My poor peas. I imagine I won't be hearing from them, and will have to replant them again soon.

On a cheerier note, today is the day that I will be starting the first of my indoor seeds. First off will be a large tray of purple basil. Personally I don't think a person can ever have too much basil, but most of these basil seedlings are not for me - they will be sold at a rummage sale I will be hosting on behalf of my church to raise funds for Operation Christmas Child. I have sold purple basil for the past few years (except the year we had that freak hail storm) and have developed a small following of customers who come back yearly looking for my purple basil.

Other plants that I always seem to have an abundance of in my gardens that sell well at our rummage sale include ostrich ferns (shoots are always coming up where I don't want them), tarragon and oregano divisions, mint, sedums (so easy to root in soil) and cilantro seedlings that seems to come up everywhere in my garden.

Terra Garden has also recommended selling Christmas Cactus cuttings which is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I usually trim my Christmas Cactus right about now, so I'm hoping that the cuttings will have rooted by the time of our rummage sale in mid May.

A quick note:
For those of you who have been patiently waiting, the Microfleur Max microwave flower presses that have been on back order have finally been shipped from Australia. Because of the flooding they experienced earlier this year, they had to order all new boxes for the presses, but thankfully they are finally on their way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home