Friday, July 23, 2010

The top 5 reasons I love anything botanical...


The top 5 reasons I love anything botanical...

1.  Plants are so easy to share.  Press them, print with them, dry them, cook them, photograph them, paint them, pick them.  You get the point!

2.  The lines, geometrical shapes, the symmetry - especially in unexpected places.  I still love seeing the star when I cut an apple crosswise.  And when pressing flowers, I am often surprised to find that the back of the flower is more interesting than than the front.

3.  They are edible.  Who doesn't love to eat?  I adore the fact that I can settle a few seeds in the ground, water, wait, (and weed) then eat.  I also love that I can sometimes eat what I don't plant - mulberries from a tree near the library in town, wild ground cherries from a nearby field, asparagus along the side of the road in the spring. 

4.  Their scents. Lilacs and lavender, are no brainers, but love the unexpected pleasant scents of tansy, yarrow, hay ferns, and even weeds like dandelions, bindweed and creeping charlie.  And don't even get me started on herbs!

5.  Last of all, but most of all, I love that they emanate peace.  The older (and hopefully wiser) I get, the more I love the fact that plants are silent.  I love their peace.  I assume their Creator is responsible for that attribute. 

Why are you drawn to them?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Coleen said...

Elizabeth, I love flowers and botanicals too. Tho' by blog is an artsy blog, I shoot a lot from my garden. Check it out. I'm following here and would love if you followed on mine.
Blessings on your day,
Coleen, an American
experiencing life from Ukraine

8:58 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for following me Coleen, I would be happy to do the same. I admire your ministry in the Ukraine, and how you use your art to help support it. I look forward to reading your blogs.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

10:40 AM  
Blogger Coleen said...

And don't you just love the lilies? Talk about a sent (some of them anyway). They have become my favorite over roses even. God truly is amazing...."when you consider the lilies." Thanks for following on my blog.
Coleen

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Bonnielynn said...

Liz,
Well done lesson 2.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Coleen,

I totally agree. Lilies are totally worth considering!
Thank you for following my blog as well.

Elizabeth

8:25 PM  
Blogger Anna Patricia said...

When I work with flowers, I enjoy the relaxing process. It's a wonderful sensory experience.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home